May 15, 2022 | Larry Renoe
Today we explore the Bible and consider, Are there any contradictions in Scripture? and How does an ancient book speak into my life now?
- “The Good Book Business”, New Yorker, December, 18, 2006
- The Bible Jesus Read, by Philip Yancey, 120
- Can We Trust the Gospels?, by Peter Williams
- Jesus and the Eyewitnesses: The Gospels as Eyewitness Testimony, by Richard Bauckham
- “The Old Testament is responsible for more atheism, agnosticism, disbelief--call it what you will--than any book ever written; it has emptied more churches than all the counter-attractions of cinema, motor bicycle and golf course.” A.A. Milne, Year In, Year Out
- The Art of Biblical Narrative, by Robert Alter
“It is a library – a collection of sixty-six separate items, written in three languages (Hebrew, Aramaic, Greek), composed and brought together over a period of more than a thousand years, and containing material of the most varied literary types – written history, personal memoirs, sermons, letters, hymns, prayers, love poetry, philosophical poetry, family trees, visions, Tales, statistics, public laws, rubrics for rituals, inventories, and much else. It divides into two collections, the second dating from a single half-century (hardly more, and perhaps much less) several hundred years after the composing of the first collection ended.” - J.I. Packer, Truth and Power, 64-65.
- Lectio 365 App
- Bible Project App, www.bibleproject.com